October 16th, 2020
October 16th, 2020
Taking care of your skin is something you should be doing religiously because it is important for more than just your appearance. As the largest organ we have, our skin is essential to our general health. A well-thought-out skin care routine is absolutely worth the time and energy to take care of your skin on a daily basis.
So from the plethora of skincare products in the market with all different names and ingredients, which one should you go for? After all, skincare is so personal, and not one formula fits all. We believe PATIENCE & SIMPLICITY is a good rule of thumb. Depending on your age, some of you might do well with just a good sunscreen, a cleanser and a moisturising cream and some of you might need more than that. That could include an effective antioxidant serum, eye cream, essential minerals and peptides, and so on. We understand this is already sounding overwhelming, so let’s get straight to the point to cover some of the key products you would need to build a strong skincare regimen.
1. Deep Clean Facial Cleanser - Using a deep clean facial cleanser is critical to maintaining healthy looking and feeling skin. Some of the benefits of regular cleansing are, it keeps your skin looking radiant and healthy, it helps anti-aging products and treatments work properly, stops your pores from getting bigger, encourages proper skin hydration and prevents the production of excess oils.
2. Facial Moisturiser – Most likely you are already using a moisturiser but, if you are not, then, you need to start using one. There are many benefits to using high-quality facial moisturiser each day. Moisturising your face will help you to look and feel younger, you will have softer, more elastic skin, and it will keep your skin hydrated. All of these things are important if you want to make sure to look as young as you can in the years to come. However, even though making sure to moisturise daily sounds easy enough, there are certain things that you will need to keep in mind before you use it.
We recommend Medik8 Advanced Day Total Protect.
- UV protection - carefully chosen complex of sunscreen filters that are proven to be long-lasting, extremely safe and the best shields against premature ageing caused by the sun
- Anti-A.G.E benefits - blocks skin-damaging sugars from binding to collagen in the skin, preventing the formation of wrinkles, while shielding skin from infrared damage
- 360 anti-pollution defence - includes next-generation antioxidant that forms an urban shield on the surface of the skin to prevent damage caused by environmental pollutants
- Superior blue light defence - maintains a buffer of antioxidant protection against blue light from screens
- Suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin
3. Vitamin C - Vitamin C promotes Collagen synthesis. Collagen is vital for rebuilding healthy skin, and it protects our skin from free radicals which can cause damage to our skin's DNA which speeds up skin ageing.
It also helps reduce dark spots, sun spots and age spots by reducing the production of Melanin in the skin and brightening the skin.
We recommend Daily Radiance Vitamin C from Medik8.
- Restores radiance & deeply hydrates - boosts radiance from deep within, giving you that sought-after healthy glow
- Reduces appearance of fine lines - protects the skin from environmental damage to prevent premature signs of ageing
- Multiple antioxidants in action - Vitamin C and Vitamin E work together synergistically as 'network antioxidants’, boosting the cream’s overall antioxidant effect
- Broad spectrum sun protection - powerful UV filters shield the complexion from harmful UVA and UVB rays
- Light and fresh smell - a natural citrus scent and in a light texture that refreshes the skin without any sticky after-feel.
4. Under Eye Cream - The skin around your eyes is thinner, more delicate and ages faster than the rest of your face. So even though you might have mastered double cleansing and multi-masking, you need to start prioritising applying eye cream daily.
We recommend Vita-C Eyes Dark Circle Corrector from Murad.
- Brightens all types of dark circles - brown, red or blue, in as little as 2 weeks
- Murad Clinical claims: After 2 weeks, 86% saw brighter eye area skin; after 6 weeks, 85% saw a reduction in dark circles
- Visibly de-puffs and soothes skin around the eyes
5. Exfoliating Lotion- Gentle Exfoliation is an excellent habit for good skin health. Two to three times a week for normal and combination skin, and once a week for sensitive skin should be safe. However, it is a good idea to consult your dermatologist first if you have sensitive skin. Exfoliating gets rid of your dead skin cells, slows down the formation of wrinkles, keeps blemishes at bay, gives your skin a healthy natural glow, stops pores from getting bigger and Improves skin discolouration.
Which exfoliator should you use? Physical exfoliator such as face scrubs is often too abrasive and using a face scrub is similar to sandpapering your face. Some Chemical exfoliators can also be quite harsh to the skin. It is very important to choose the right form and strength, so you get the benefit of the exfoliation without damaging the natural moisture barrier of your skin.
We recommend Replenishing Multi-Acid Peel from Murad. As per Murad's clinical claims, below are the untouched real results after 4 weeks:
- 96% saw smoother texture
- 88% saw more radiant skin
- 84% noticed brighter skin and more even tone
- 84% noticed healthier-looking, more nourished skin
6. Sunscreen With High SPF - SPF stands for ‘Sun Protection Factor’. It is a measure of how well a sunscreen will protect skin from UVB rays, the kind of radiation that causes sunburn, damages skin, and can contribute to skin cancer. If you are wondering what that number is that we see on an SPF cream and what it means, you are in the right place. Let’s say if your skin would normally burn after 10 minutes in the sun, applying an SPF 15 sunscreen would allow you to stay in the sun without burning for approximately 150 minutes (a factor of 15 times longer). This is a rough estimate that depends on skin type, the intensity of sunlight and the amount of sunscreen used. SPF is actually a measure of protection from the amount of UVB exposure, and it is not meant to help you determine the duration of exposure.
Harmful UV rays cause permanent damage to skin triggering a variety of skin disorders, including skin cancer. Overexposure to sunlight worsens pigmentations, increase the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, making us age quicker. Therefore, using a good sunscreen not only helps you protect yourself from skin cancer but also prevents premature ageing.
We recommend Mesoestetic - Mesoprotech Melan 130 Pigment Control
- Very high factor sun protection - with UVB 131 and UVA 67 colour.
- Regulates pigmentation - Contains Azeloglycine that regulates Melanin synthesis
- Ultra-fluid texture, natural tone - Softens imperfections, unifies even skin tone, does not leave white residue on skin
- Non comedogenic - Does not block pores
There we go! We hope by now, you have understood the basics for you to start building your skincare regimen. Take it slowly and listen your skin. Less is always more when introducing new products to your skin.
Remember, you can’t stop ageing, however you can certainly influence the rate and extent of ageing appearance. By using a mix of science-backed, effective ingredients to target ageing in different ways, any one can have youthful looking, healthy skin all year around.
Why procrastinate? The best time to start is NOW! We are here to help if you've any questions regarding products and if you need help with incorporating them into your skincare routine.
You can reach out to us instantly via our Free Virtual Consultation chat box located at the bottom right of your screen.
Clean Pores Essentials
Acne Scar Treatment Set
Pigmentation Reduction Set
Written by Mr Brains and Brawn