So How Do You Combat Scalp Flakes?
A style conscious man will not hesitate to try the latest hair tools and styling products to ensure their hair is perfectly styled; however, the majority will unintentionally neglect the condition of their scalp.
What causes flaky scalp?
☝🏼Scalp Flakes 𝗶𝘀 𝗰𝗮𝘂𝘀𝗲𝗱 𝗯𝘆 𝗹𝗼𝘀𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝗺𝗼𝗶𝘀𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗸𝗶𝗻 and excess sebum (oil) production. The flakes are greasy and yellowish white in colour. It can also 𝗰𝗮𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝗶𝘁𝗰𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗶𝗿𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 (𝗮𝗹𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗽𝗮𝘁𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀), 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘂𝘀𝘂𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗱𝘂𝗰𝗲𝘀 𝘀𝗰𝗮𝗹𝗽 𝗼𝗱𝗼𝘂𝗿.
So, how do we combat them?
1. 𝗨𝘀𝗲 𝗮𝗻 𝗮𝗻𝘁𝗶 𝗱𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗿𝘂𝗳𝗳 𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗺𝗽𝗼𝗼 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘀𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗰𝘆𝗹𝗶𝗰 𝗮𝗰𝗶𝗱- Salicylic acid is effective in breaking up cell buildup on the scalp, so that it washes away easily.
2. 𝗔𝘃𝗼𝗶𝗱 𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗺𝗽𝗼𝗼𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗵𝗮𝗶𝗿 𝗲𝘅𝗰𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗹𝘆- You should avoid shampooing your hair every day if you have a flaky scalp. You can wash your hair with lukewarm water to keep it clean every day but shampooing more than 4X week is not necessary. Why? It is proven that excessive use of shampoo straps the natural oil away from your scalp, which leads your scalp to produce more oil/sebum production, which will just escalate the problem.
3. 𝗨𝘀𝗲 𝘀𝗰𝗮𝗹𝗽 𝗰𝗹𝗲𝗮𝗻𝘀𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗼𝗻𝗰𝗲 𝗮 𝘄𝗲𝗲𝗸- We strongly recommend using scalp cleansers once a week to clean up your clogged pores and help maintain a healthy sebum balance in your scalp. Go for the ones with good ratings and genuine user reviews. We personally recommend Aveda Pramasana Scalp Cleanser.
4. 𝗘𝘅𝗳𝗼𝗹𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝘀𝗰𝗮𝗹𝗽 𝗼𝗻𝗰𝗲 𝗮 𝘄𝗲𝗲𝗸- Even though most of the scalp cleansers do the general exfoliating job, we still recommend using a decent facial scrub once a week to keep your pores unclogged and your scalp breathing freely. Massage your scalp gently in a circular motion from your fingertips to get rid of those dead skin cells. We recommend Jack Black Face Buff Energizing Scrub with mint and Vitamin C.
5. 𝗟𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝘁, 𝗱𝗼𝗻’𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝘁𝗼𝗼 𝗺𝘂𝗰𝗵- It is a common knowledge that excessive stress is known to contribute to lots of men’s health issues and you can add scalp flakes on the list. So take a pause and check if you are overstressed lately for whatever reasons. You might not be able to escape from it entirely because this is life. However, there are ways to manage stress. We recommend going for a run, walk or even a quick workout during work breaks to keep your stress under control.
👉🏼Feel free to share on the comment below the methods and products which have worked for you at getting rid of your scalp flakes.