Must Read Before You Purchase Your Next Leather Jacket
When shopping for your next leather jacket, whichever style you decide to go for, always remember that the fitting is vital. A nice well fitting leather jacket is something that every man should have in their wardrobe. A proper leather jacket is an investment. They don’t go out of fashion, and it should last you for a very long time.
Therefore, getting the right fit is the most crucial part in nailing the leather jacket look successfully.
So here are some of the key things to look for to determine the best fit.
1. Make sure you have enough room to move your arm without being uncomfortable.
2. The length of the jacket should land on your waists.
3. The sleeves should ideally end at your wrists and if not, it should never extend to your palms.
4. The shoulder seam should line up as close to the points of your shoulders.
☝🏼 𝗧𝗿𝗶𝗰𝗸 - 𝗟𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗔𝗿𝗺𝗵𝗼𝗹𝗲.𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗵𝗶𝗴𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗮𝗿𝗺𝗵𝗼𝗹𝗲𝘀, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝘁. 𝗜𝗳 𝗶𝘁’𝘀 𝘁𝗼𝗼 𝗹𝗼𝘄, 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗷𝗮𝗰𝗸𝗲𝘁 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗳𝘁 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗺𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗮𝗿𝗺𝘀. 𝗔 𝗹𝗼𝘄 𝗮𝗿𝗺𝗵𝗼𝗹𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗮 𝘀𝗶𝗴𝗻 𝗼𝗳 𝗮 𝗷𝗮𝗰𝗸𝗲𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁’𝘀 𝗲𝗶𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗼𝗼 𝗯𝗶𝗴, 𝗼𝗿 𝗽𝗼𝗼𝗿𝗹𝘆 𝗰𝘂𝘁.
☝🏼𝗔𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗰𝗿𝘂𝗰𝗶𝗮𝗹 𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗽𝗶𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝘂𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗴𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗲𝗻𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵 𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗺 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗲𝗿𝘀. 𝗬𝗼𝘂 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗯𝗲 𝗮𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗳𝗶𝘁 𝗮𝘁 𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗮 𝘀𝘄𝗲𝗮𝘁𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁 𝗯𝗲𝗹𝗼𝘄, 𝘄𝗵𝗶𝗹𝗲 𝗮𝗹𝘀𝗼 𝗺𝗮𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗲𝗳𝗳𝗼𝗿𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗮𝘃𝗼𝗶𝗱 𝗽𝗶𝗲𝗰𝗲𝘀 𝗱𝗿𝗼𝗽𝗽𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗯𝗲𝗹𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗹𝘁 𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲.
Now, since we have covered the fitting part, I am going to list out some other items you should pay strong attention to as this will determine the longevity of your new leather jacket.
1. The quality of the leather - I would not recommend going for leather jackets less than $500. The reason being, cheaper jackets will use leather that is corrected. This means the chances are higher that faux leather grains will be pressed into it, as well as extra spraying of dyes and treatments to make them more uniform. Corrected leathers will have an overly smooth, plastic feel, versus the soft, oily, uneven textured nature of uncorrected skins.
2. Top Stitchings and Linings - Topstitching is decorative stitching on garments which is a highly desirable detail on leather jackets. It’s usually done along the edges of seams and pockets, and gives the jacket more visual punch. Linings is another crucial element that will determine the longevity of your jacket. Cheaper leather jacket manufacturers usually use lower grade synthetic linings in the entire garments. These linings often shred and tear easily, feel really dry and don’t breathe well. These cheap synthetics are often the first things to fall apart over time. Go for the one which has two different linings – one for the body and one for the sleeve.
3. Zippers - Go for the ones that comes with a heavy weight metal zippers such as RiRi zippers as they are less likely to break.
4. Details - Attention to details is an absolute must when it comes to determining the overall quality of the jacket. This includes checking out the other parts of the jacket such as quality of zippers used (RiRi or YKK), materials used for linings (Silk or Synthetic) and last but not the least the feel of the leather itself. The reason being, quality of the leather can be very subtle once you get away from over corrected leathers.
We are confident this article will help you pick the right leather jacket you were considering to buy for a while.
You have made a great choice. Remember, a proper, staple leather jacket will not only last you forever, it’s timeless and extremely versatile. It is your next big investment after your suits on building your wardrobe.