Everything You Need To Know About Basic Men's Skincare Regimen
As a man, taking care of your skin is something that you should be doing religiously. The feminine stigma attached towards men and skincare is not present anymore. Health-conscious men are always looking for well-formulated products that protect their skin from harmful UV rays, keeps their skin moisturised throughout the day, reduces pigmentation and pores size to give them a healthy youthful look. At the end of the day, most of us men also want to look younger, fresher and sharper.
Look at Hollywood, for example. Hollywood is the perfect example of just how much skincare matters. If you have watched ‘Once upon a time in Hollywood’ and noticed how Brad Pitt managed to look at 55, you will know better what I am talking about. The good thing is, looking younger isn’t a privilege reserved for celebrities anymore. Men everywhere are extending their time in their physical prime by nourishing their skin with effective skincare routines. The real secret to skin that looks and feels younger than its years is selecting skincare products with the right mix of ingredients.
So from the plethora of men's skincare products in the market with all different names, which one should be your go to for skincare? After all, skincare is so personal, and not one formula fits all. We believe PATIENCE & KEEPING IT SIMPLE is how it should be when it comes to skincare. Depending on your age some of you might do well with just a good sunscreen, a cleanser and a moisturising cream and some of you might need more than that. That could include an effective antioxidant serum, eye cream, essential minerals and peptides, and so on. We understand this is already sounding overwhelming, so let’s go straight to the point.
Let’s talk about some of the essential elements and products to go for if you are a beginner in skincare.
1. Facial Moisturiser – Most likely you are already using a moisturiser but, if you are not, then, you need to start using one. There are many benefits to using high-quality facial moisturiser each day. Moisturising your face will help you to look and feel younger, you will have softer, more elastic skin, and it will keep your skin hydrated. All of these things are important if you want to make sure to look as young as you can in the years to come. However, even though making sure to moisturise daily sounds easy enough, there are certain things that you will need to keep in mind before you use it.
Now that you know the benefits to moisturise, you should learn more about when and how to use moisturiser. You might think that you can simply apply any lotion on your face, and see faster results, but this isn’t true. A good moisturiser makes your skin healthier and younger for longer. It is more of a long-term investment. You should only be using a moisturiser that is specifically made for the face. To get into the habit of moisturising, it is suggested that you do it at the same time every day, such as after you shower, or after you shave. These are ideal times to use moisturiser as your skin will still be wet. This moisture will help pull the lotion in more easily. Before moisturising, make sure that you clean your face thoroughly with a mild cleanser. You don’t want anything too harsh. With your face still slightly damp, apply the moisturiser gently and by using upward strokes. This helps to get the moisturiser into the pores where it belongs. Your skin will begin to absorb the moisturiser almost immediately and typically within five to ten minutes; it will be fully absorbed.
We recommend The Organic Pharmacy’s Ultra-Light Moisture Gel for Men.
2. Sunscreen lotion with at least 30 SPF- SPF stands for ‘Sun Protection Factor’. It is a measure of how well a sunscreen will protect skin from UVB rays, the kind of radiation that causes sunburn, damages skin, and can contribute to skin cancer. If you are wondering what that number is that we see on an SPF cream and what it means, you are in the right place. Let’s say if your skin would normally burn after 10 minutes in the sun, applying an SPF 15 sunscreen would allow you to stay in the sun without burning for approximately 150 minutes (a factor of 15 times longer). This is a rough estimate that depends on skin type, the intensity of sunlight and the amount of sunscreen used. SPF is actually a measure of protection from the amount of UVB exposure, and it is not meant to help you determine the duration of exposure.
Harmful UV rays cause permanent damage to skin triggering a variety of skin disorders, including skin cancer. Even the mildest of sunburns can have damaging effects. A good sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or more will protect your skin against the sun’s broad spectrum of harmful UV rays. Overexposure to sunlight can also increase the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, making us age quicker. Therefore, using a good sunscreen not only helps you protect yourself from skin cancer but also prevents premature aging.
We recommend The Organic Pharmacy’s Cellular Protection Sun Cream SPF30. It is a natural mineral sunscreen that combines titanium dioxide and zinc oxide to provide protection against UVA and UVB rays. It has finely micronised minerals protect the skin from pre-mature ageing and sun damage. Also infused with Aloe, Rose Hip, Shea Butter and Calendula to nourish and protect this light cream is easily absorbed and leaves no white residue.
3. Exfoliating lotion- Gentle Exfoliation is an excellent habit for good skin health. Most dermatologists consider exfoliating based on your skin type. Two to three times a week for normal and combination skin, and once a week for sensitive skin should be safe. However, it is a good idea to consult your dermatologist first if you have sensitive skin. Exfoliating has great benefits for your skin. The main benefits are, it gets rid of your dead skin cells, slows down the formation of wrinkles, keeps blemishes at bay, gives your skin a healthy natural glow, stops pores from getting bigger and Improves skin discolouration.
Which exfoliator should you use? Physical exfoliator such as face scrubs is often too abrasive and using a face scrub is similar to sandpapering your face. Some Chemical exfoliators can also be quite harsh to the skin. It is very important to choose the right form and strength, so you get the benefit of the exfoliation without damaging the natural moisture barrier of your skin.
We recommend using The Ordinary Lactic Acid for exfoliation. It gets rid of your dead skin cells without creating any inflammations. Although Lactic Acid is one of the gentler acids on offer, you should still refrain from using one too regularly. Once or twice a week is best for most skin types. Remember to always use sunscreen before you go out while using Lactic Acid.
4. Deep Clean Facial Cleanser- Using a deep clean facial cleanser is critical to maintaining healthy looking and feeling skin. Let’s talk about what would happen if you completely stopped washing your face? Most likely, your pores would become clogged, resulting in the development of acute acne. The skin could also experience a combination of severe redness, dryness and irritation from insufficient hydration. Finally, your skin would generally appear dirty, oily, greasy and significantly aged.
Some of the benefits of regular cleansing are, it keeps your skin looking radiant and healthy, it helps anti-aging products and treatments work properly, stops your pores from getting bigger, encourages proper skin hydration and prevents the production of excess oils.
We recommend Squalene Cleanser from The Ordinary. Being non-comedogenic and soap-free, this formula is designed to be gentle enough for daily use, without over-drying the skin, making it suitable for all skin types.
5. Niacinamide- Niacinamide is a combination of Vitamin B3 and Nicotinic acid. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory with lots of benefits to your skin and is a MUST HAVE on every men’s skincare regime. The most important benefit is calming your skin from irritation caused by sunburn, acne or rosacea (redness on the skin caused by bacteria) and improving the texture of the skin caused by severe acne. Therefore, if you're suffering from inflamed skin, pigmentation, and breakouts, then Niacinamide Serum might just be the best option for you. It should be applied after cleansing and before any heavier oils and creams in both morning and evening to feel the full effects.
The proven benefits of using Niacinamide are, it minimizes pore appearance, protects your skin against sun damage - Niacinamide can rebuild healthy skin cells protecting you from damage caused by ultraviolet rays, treats hyperpigmentation and controls oil production. Research has also found that 5 % of niacinamide concentrations can be helpful in lightening dark spots on your skin. Benefits were seen after four weeks, but NOT after two months and control oil production.
6. Vitamin C - Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that aids in your skin's natural regeneration process, which helps your body repair damaged skin cells.
Similar to how consuming antioxidant-rich foods aids your body in fighting off free radicals, topical antioxidants do the same for your skin by helping to offset daily aggressors like UV damage and exposure to air pollution.
The most important thing to note is, the best property of any powerful antioxidant is also its worst property—it oxidizes. Basically, antioxidants bind to free “radicals” of oxygen so that your cell's don’t. The problem is that they may bind to oxygen in the bottle before you even buy any product claiming to contain antioxidants. And since Vitamin C has a very strong ability to bind to free radicals of oxygen, as soon as it’s dissolved in water, it starts to oxidize and change the colour of the solution (from clear to slight orange and later to dark orange). When this change happens, two things occur: 1) the activity of Vitamin C becomes disabled and 2) far worse, the “antioxidant” formulation actually turns into a “pro-oxidant” formulation doing damage to your skin.
Therefore, we recommend NIOD’s ETHYLATED L-ASCORBIC ACID 30% NETWORK serum. It uses a pure form of L-Ascorbic Acid in ethylated form—which costs nearly 100 times more than pure Vitamin C—that is extremely stable in all conditions including in the presence of water. We suggest using it daily after cleansing as your night time regime.
There we go! We hope by now, you have understood the basics you need to start off with your skincare regime. All the best!